We are so lucky. Chris was an incredible fighter (read his birth story here), we prayed hard for his survival, and he had the best care. But much of his survival came down to pure, blind luck.
Although I would never wish the NICU experience on my worst enemy, I am grateful for the blessings it brought:
- A greater awareness of the fragility of life
- Wonderful support from family, friends, and faith community, and learning who could be with us in the hard times
- Reminder not to take anything for granted
- Opportunity to develop close friendships with other NICU parents
- Knowledge that it doesn't matter at what age your child talks, walks, reads, etc.--each of those milestones is a gift
We love you so much and cannot begin to express our gratitude that you survived your birth and have grown up to become a wonderful young man! I made this little video to honor your first 18 years. We sang the first three songs, among others, to you in the NICU. Here's to you, kid!