I Was a Stranger, Day 23: Jussie Smollett


As someone who feels the hurts of the world, I continue to be greatly concerned and worried about the state of the USA at the moment, and the ways that those on the margins are being mistreated. And I'm furious at the "princes of Israel" among us, "abusive to outsiders, oppressive against orphans and widows."

Jussie Smollett, an actor on Emmy-award winning "Empire," recently debuted the “F.U.W.” (short for “f**ked up world) video that captures how I and many others are feeling under this new Republican regime.



Smollett captures how people are being disenfranchised and dismissed in the new Republican fantasy of a world...from LGBT rights to religious and racial prejudices.

“This song is for the oppressed. That’s why I feel like people will connect with it because it is very broad, because oppression is so broad,” Smollett said in an interview with The Associated Press.

In one scene, a man in a wheelchair runs over a Trump mask. “That mask is a representation of this false idea of patriotism. And that mask is a representation of this idea of white male privilege,” Smollett said. “It’s so much bigger than him. It’s what he represents, and it’s because of that representation, that’s why he’s the president of the United States currently.”

“It’s our opportunity to take those masks off and shatter them, so that’s what I did,” he added.

Read more of my "I Was a Stranger" entries here.

Comments