50 celebrations, Part 1: Brandi Carlile and book group

Eleven days until I hit five decades.

So far I am more excited about this occasion than depressed about it. But I suppose that could change. I plan to celebrate all year long, with a series of celebrations and surprises, some of which will appear here on my blog, and some that will not. 

My birthday celebrations began on September 5, when Mike and I went to see Brandi Carlile perform with the Oregon Symphony--his gift to me. Even though I'm a long-time folkie, I only got hooked on Brandi Carlile in the last year or so...and Mike knew very little of her music. Now she is one of my favorites, so it was a real thrill to see her live with the Oregon Symphony (here's a link to her rendition of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah). She performs with twin brothers--Phil and Tim Hanseroth--multi-talented musicians. Fantastic concert!! If you don't know her music, check out her NPR Tiny Desk Concert. I can't get enough of her, so it was a great way to kick off the birthday fun.

Last night my wonderful book group surprised me with a birthday dinner, those sneaky bibliophiles! Asian food (which they know is my favorite), lovely delicacies, wine, lots of laughter, great friends...that's all you need for a party!

With my wonderful friend Kristin

Caley, Niki, and Gitte

The hostess and her pup

The gorgeous desserts (and gorgeous server)

With the lovely Caley, who I've known for 20+ years
(She and her daughter decorated with streamers and "Marvelous Marie" behind us)
(Keep Quiet and Don't Stream refers to what was happening behind the French doors!)

I love my birthday card!
(They identified me out of tribe of women)

Love this phenomenal group of smart, funny, wise women!
Topped off with flowers, sparkly, and money to spend on books at Powell's, the celebrations have begun! Thanks to Caley, Niki, Kristin, and Gitte for kicking off my birthday in such a fun way!

Stay tuned for Part 2!

Comments