Random wonders from the Internet

With all this sitting-around, recovery time on my hands, I've been spending more time than usual surfing Facebook and the Internet. Here are three random funnies I found today:

Kid-made movies

A friend posted this cute video on Facebook..."if movies were written by children." I showed it to Kieran and Nicholas, though, thinking they would like it...and it turns out that the humor is far more appealing to adults. Maybe they're too close to it to find it funny!

Awesome bento art

Bento art is in. In Japan, moms express their love for their family members by creating works of art in their lunchboxes. Bento began in the late Kamakura Period (1185 to 1333). Use of lacquered wooden boxes like today's bento boxes began in the Azuchi-Momoyama Period (1568 to 1600), when Japanese began eating bento at cherry blossom viewing parties or picnics. Bentos began appearing in a more mass-manufactured form (in train stations and stores) in the Meiji Period (1868 to 1912). Nowadays, workers and students frequently take bento for their lunch, or families take them on day trips and picnics. They are typically assembled in boxes with compartments and wrapped up in a furoshiki cloth.

Bento has expanded beyond Japan to hit the art scene abroad. In addition, the Internet is full of Web sites demonstrating creative bento ideas for western families. Here are some examples of great bento art, "insanely cute bento boxes," and some more practical ideas for western bento: justbento, http://www.parenting.com/gallery/bento-lunch-boxes, and http://lunchinabox.net/.


Recipe for ice cubes

This recipe for ice cubes on food.com is worth reading purely for the clever "reviews":
  • This recipe is horrible! Maybe I should have left them in longer than two minutes (the recipe doesn't say how long to leave them in the freezer so I just kind of guessed) but mine came out all watery. I won't be making these again.
  •  I was wondering if you had a crock-pot version for this recipe. I work long hours and I just don't have the time to invest in this kind of hands-on cooking, but they really look yummy.
  • Oh man, so happy to have this recipe! My grandma died and took the recipe with her. You are a life saver!!
  • I can't believe you stole this recipe from Rachel Ray.
  • Woohoo...homemade ice cubes! I've only had store bought, never again. Thanks for posting.
  • Is this recipe available with metric measurements so it can be made in Europe?
  • I am going to print this recipe and tack it to the fridge. I dont think my husband know how to make ice cubes! Now if only there were a recipe here for "How to Change the Toilet Paper Roll" roflmho
  • Water is a living, defenseless thing and should not be eaten, let alone confined in a 1 1/2" x 3/4" x 3/4" compartment and frozen to death!! You people disgust me!!!

I've continued to watch movies as well--today it was a pretty mediocre one called "Did You Hear About the Morgans" with Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker. Bad script and very little chemistry between the leads. Such a shame because I do like Hugh Grant! I also finished watching "Raiders of the Lost Ark" with Nicholas and more of "Parks and Recreation," Season 2.
 
The pain is gradually lessening and I'm able to scale back slowly on the pain meds. I'm looking forward to getting back on my feet.

Comments

Post a Comment