Dar Williams on aging well

The other day I was delighted to see on More Magazine's Facebook page an interview with one of my favorite musicians, Dar Williams. I've been a Dar fan ever since I heard her singing with Joan Baez on Joan's album, "Ring Them Bells," and we try to go to her concerts each time she visits Portland.

Ring Them Bells (2CD)

Dar speaks about her baptism of fire experience at the Lilith Fair and the mentoring she received from Joan Baez. And now she has become the mentor.

Dar wrote a beautiful song about aging when she was just 25 years old. Now, 19 years later, she is living the song, and she's become the "woman of voices" in the song.

"The woman of voices is the one who doesn’t throw away anything, who keeps what’s important—there’s a real beauty and elegance to that that you just don’t have when you are younger, " says Dar. "That’s what I anticipated when I wrote that song and that is what I am experiencing now, so it’s nice to know it wasn’t BS."

If you haven't heard this song yet, I encourage you to watch this video:

Comments