Affirmation of the Day: "All is well in my world"?

While I generally agree with the power of positive thinking, for some reason this affirmation is bothering me:
"Everything is working out for my highest good. Out of this situation only good will come. I am safe!"*
I do believe that most of the difficult experiences of my life have silver linings.
  • Cleft lip and palate = strength and forbearance
  • Infertility and miscarriages = greater appreciation of my children
  • Chris' prematurity and the NICU experience = renewed faith, support of the community, strengthened marriage, deep and abiding friendships, greater appreciation of life
But I can think of other experiences in my life out of which "only good" certainly did not come.

Try spouting this "power thought" to a parent who has just lost a child. Someone who has just seen his or her loved one brutally raped or attacked. Someone whose house has been destroyed and is in the midst of war. Someone who's been sold into slavery, with no hope in sight. Someone in an abusive marriage. A woman murdered by her husband.

Sometimes these new age platitudes fall flat. This is one of those cases.

So yes, I do believe that good CAN come out of every experience, but I do not believe that it always does.

Comments