Seventy-five percent of Americans will be overweight or obese in 2020?

That's what a new study conducted by the Paris-based Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development claims. Citizens of developed countries are becoming larger and larger, and the United States is in the lead. They cite several reasons for this continuing trend:
  • Food is cheaper.
  • People are not getting enough exercise or activity.
  • With less time to prepare foods, people eat out in restaurants more...and we all know that restaurant food is less healthy and more fattening than most food made at home.
Of course, with more obesity, our health care costs will continue to balloon. It's an alarming epidemic, and it doesn't look likely that anything will be able to stop this trend. I'm glad to see the baby steps being taken, such as healthier food in the schools (although our middle school still has a pop machine in the cafeteria) and nutritional information posted in restaurants.

Mike informed me that the younger kids love to go along to Chris' orthodontist's office because the waiting room has juice and soda pop. WTF??? That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I didn't have any cavities until I was 15--because I had braces. Are they trying to give kids cavities?

Although I am not worried about my kids being overweight, I do worry about their teeth (and about consuming high-fructose corn syrup). We never buy pop at home. I think we are rare that way.

Comments