Weird news of the day

This morning a Toronto colleague brought this up on a conference call, and I couldn't believe it: Mildred's Temple Kitchen, a Toronto restaurant, is actively encouraging its patrons to have sex in its washrooms (not bathrooms--in Canada!) on Valentine's Day...by sending out a promotional e-mail to its customers.

According to the Huffington Post, "Toronto's Public Health food safety program manager said the restaurant wasn't breaking any laws as long as there's no intercourse in the kitchen and the bathrooms are kept clean." Not a surprise to me--it's Canada. This would NEVER happen in the United States.

Americans are uptight about sex. Sometimes I'm glad about that (no tabloid nude centerfolds in the U.S., like in Britain, and I'm not so crazy about promoting washroom sex), and other times I'm not (such as when sex repression results in major double standards and anti-gay sentiment).

Comments