Down the Rabbit Hole!

Tonight I took Kieran to see the Northwest Children's Theater's production of "Alice in Wonderland." I must confess that I wasn't looking forward to it too much...I am not terribly intrigued by Alice in Wonderland--I find it to be lacking in plot, to be honest. But the production was a nice surprise--it had a twist.

It was a jazz musical version of "Alice in Wonderland," complete with the highly talented Shirley Nanette and other musical talent. They had a jazz band onstage, and all the music was done in jazz style. Jazz is not necessarily my favorite genre, but it was a unique production, and Nanette was amazing as the Queen of Hearts. She stole the show!






Kieran, who in the space of a couple of weeks has gone from wanting to produce "The Wizard of Oz" to "Bye Bye Birdie," to now, "Alice in Wonderland," was determined to wear white rabbit ears to the show this evening. He found some from an old costume we had, but he also spied some new ones in the gift shop for $2.50. When we went to get autographs from the cast members after the show, every actor mentioned the rabbit ears.



He also brought his Queen of Hearts figure! This kid knows how to get in the spirit! We ran into some friends at the theater, as well, which was a nice surprise.


Here's Kieran posing with the white rabbit herself!

Our children continue to be entranced by theater. Nicholas was pulling on my arm as we left for the play, saying "I want to come too!" For his part, Chris tried out for "Bye Bye Birdie" this week at school, and came home bereft because he landed the part of Harvey Johnson, the "geek." I think he's worried about being teased for playing the role. He was full of recriminations about himself, such as he can't sing very well, or he was chosen for that role because he has glasses. I was delighted to come home after "Alice" to learn that he has already learned his lines in his big song, "The Telephone Line," and has the character down perfectly! I do think it will be a great comic role for him--he has great comic timing.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of my children ended up on the professional stage, at this rate...they all seem drawn to the limelight!!

Comments

  1. I'm not a big fan of "Alice In Wonderland" either, but this production looks quite intriguing. Who would have thought jazz?!? I love that Kieran tried to get into costume for the play! I wouldn't be surprised if all your kids ended up on stage one day. My siblings love the stage (they all do ballet) but I prefer to be kept far away from it! Do you enjoy performing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was intriguing and enjoyable. I enjoy performing music, but not acting. When I was in high school, I preferred to work behind the scenes in the theater, in the box office or ushering. My hubby is the one who likes public speaking and acting! My kids inherited their drama gene from him! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment