Don't Go Breakin' My Heart

Kieran's been going around the house singing "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart," which is on the soundtrack of "Ella Enchanted."

I find it highly amusing that my kindergartener is singing this song, which was one of my favorites in the '70s! I owned the 45 (along with many others), and I loved Elton John.

Back in those days we didn't have music videos and rarely had the opportunity to see our favorite musical acts performing their music, unless they were guests on variety shows. But Elton John was legendary for his outrageous costumes and enormous glasses.

Look what I found on YouTube--apparently this was an entirely unrehearsed performance, as you can tell by the awkward moves:

I looked up Kiki Dee to find out more about her--she is a Yorkshire lass and is still performing. I also found this--she looks great for 60+, and Elton is clearly sporting a toupee now:


And then there was that classic episode of my favorite TV show, "One Day at a Time," when Mackenzie Phillips and Valerie Bertinelli did an early version of karaoke by dressing up as Elton John and Kiki Dee and singing their hearts out. Nadine and I copied this act and performed for our parents--she was Kiki and I was Elton, complete with big glasses and foil-covered boots.

Gotta love those Baby Boomer movie makers--using music of the parents' generation in current kids' movies!

Comments