The Sweetest Little Voldemort You Ever Did See

One of the fun aspects of having three children so widely spaced in ages is that we get to go through the joys of childhood over and over again. No, I'm not talking about DIAPERS! (Although I will sing glory hallelujah when we don't have to fork out money for diapers any more!)

I'm talking about Harry Potter.

I remember when I first heard about Harry Potter...a former coworker first told me that he and his kids were obsessed with the HP books. Not being a fantasy fan, they didn't sound interesting to me at all.

Then I had my first miscarriage in 1999 and was lying depressed and recovering in bed for several days. My mother-in-law brought me the first HP book and recommended that I read it. She had to persuade me to give it a try, and since I needed an escape, I was ripe for the suggestion. Much to my surprise, I was completely drawn in.

We read all of the early HP books with Chris, and toward the end of the series Mike and I couldn't keep ourselves from reading ahead, so Chris was on his own! Chris had an uncanny likeness to HP, with his skinny frame, glasses, and even a scar on his forehead, and he made a great Harry for Halloween! All three of us have read all the books and seen all the movies.

And now it begins again. Last night I returned from work to find that Kieran had caught the Harry Potter bug:



And 15 minutes later, he had engaged Nicholas...who begun running around the house saying "I Voldemort!" No, of course he doesn't know who Voldemort is...but his big brother said it, so it must be cool.



And here is sweet little Voldemort, giving me his scary face:


Hook in hand!

I'd been thinking about starting to read the Harry Potter books to Kieran (at least, the early ones), and last night we began! We made it into Chapter 3 (it's amazing to see how short that first book is!), and he is loving it!

Comments