Greener Grass

"The grass is not, in fact, always greener on the other side of the fence. No, not at all. Fences have nothing to do with it. The grass is greenest where it is watered. When crossing over fences, carry water with you and tend the grass where ever you may be." --Robert Fulghum

This quotation really spoke to me when I saw it this morning. It's especially suitable given the task I was working on yesterday...coming up with a list of the top 10 reasons to work in my company's Publications group, which we are hoping to use for recruiting purposes.

I sent out an e-mail to my team soliciting their responses, and viewing the long list that I've compiled, it was a good reminder of why I love my job...and I hope it did the same for my team members as well. A positive outlook and focus breeds more positivity, just as negativity and complaining breeds more negativity.

I'm certainly not saying that there's anything wrong with a good vent now and then...but if we spend too much time venting and complaining and not enough time watering the grass where we are planted, the grass turns brown, withers, and dies.

With that said, if we run out of water and more than half of the grass is brown (I always use the 50 percent rule), it's time to find new pastures. Life is too short to remain in dead grass.

That's my thought for the day!

Comments