Just a few of the acronyms I use regularly at work:
- Don't use an acronym unless you have to (if the term is long and you'll be using it again)
- Don't use an acronym if you only refer to it just once--just spell it out!
- Don't use an acronym to show off! No one is impressed...what's the use unless it makes the reading easier?)
- Don't use an acronym if it will make the reading more difficult...
- Spell out the acronym when you first use it--don't assume people will know what you are talking about
- EPA: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- EIS (environmental impact statement), EA (environmental assessment), etc.
- BG (business group)
- BDS (Business Development Services, the group that writes and manages proposals in my company)
- SR (Sustainability Report, which is what I've been working on in the past few months)
- ESBG (Environmental Services Business Group, which is where much of my work comes from)
- PDX (Portland, Oregon--both the airport and the acronym for our Portland office)
- HR (Human Resources)
- IT (Information Technology)
- PTO (the most important acronym in my job--personal time off!!)--even though I feel lucky to get paid for a job I love, what I love most of all is my PTO!!
|With my friend Lois and my mom at women's music camp|