Monday Listicles: 10 things I am proud of

Monday Listicles time! This week it's "10 things you are proud of." My first draft included why I'm proud of several people (my kids, husband, sister, and brother), but then I re-read the list suggestion and noted the word "things." So being proud of myself is harder. Here goes:

1. Anytime I stretch myself or step out of my comfort zone.

2. Surviving a childhood full of surgeries (and some bullying).

Miyajima, Japan
3. Going to Japan (when I was 21) without knowing any Japanese or what the hell I was doing and with only 1 month notice. Also traveling on my own to China (taking a boat from Kobe to Shanghai, and getting from Shanghai to Chengdu, where my sister was studying).

Festival in Japan

Mike|
 (April 1987--when our romance took off)
4. Meeting and marrying a wonderful man and partner for life--and being happily married for nearly 23 years.



Chris in the NICU (with a beanie bear)


















5. Surviving 117 harrowed days in the NICU with my marriage intact and in fact, stronger than before...also being involved in cofounding a nonprofit organization to help other NICU families, Precious Beginnings, which Mike is still volunteering with.






Photo by Capturing Magic Photography



6. Raising kind, sensitive, and creative boys--the world needs more of those!











7. Accolades I get at work from my clients--makes it all worth while when I do good work and help someone else look great...and others express their appreciation. Also writing for our company's Sustainability Report and for our Environmental Management System...making a difference in the world.

8. Writing awards I won last year--especially one out of only 100 APEX Grand Awards (out of 3,400 entries), for a presentation about readable communications, about which the judges said, "An exemplar of how-to communication, in which clear, well organized and informative copy gets the point across with liberal use of well chosen visual examples. Really a first rate effort, and worth bookmarking."

Photo by Capturing Magic
9. Supporting my family--although sometimes I wish I were the stay-at-home parent or worked for myself, I know that my personality is better suited for working outside of the home, with deadlines! When we got married nearly 23 years ago, I told Mike I'd support him for a year. I feel fortunate that I have a job I find challenging and fulfilling, and that Mike enjoys being a stay-at-home dad/writer. I'm still hoping he makes his millions one of these days so I can retire early!


10. Promoting a spirit of reconciliation and justice...whether in my own life or in the world. Forgiving people, moving onward and not holding grudges, and reconciling when feelings are hurt. This is truly a challenge, but worthwhile.

Thanks to Stasha at The Good Life for sponsoring Monday Listicles. Check some of the other proud moments out at her blog.

Comments

  1. That is an impressive list. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lady! I love that you went for it and wrote from the heart. Such accomplishments, so much love and work and time that went into them!! Good for you. And good for us cause you are changing the world. Also I love your family photos. LOVE THEM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stasha! We are changing the world--I like that. Our family photo shoot last fall was the first time we'd hired a professional photographer--since our wedding--and I'm so glad we did. They were so much better than the JC Penney studios (which really had not been that bad, but they didn't compare). I have great appreciation for photographers like you!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you've accomplished a lot and had many adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful family photo! You have lots to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really appreciate your number 9. I'm also the breadwinner, my husband is a wonderful stay-at-home dad, but I never think to be proud of my job supporting the family... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin. And I appreciate you saying how proud you are of breastfeeding. I forgot that one!

      Delete
  6. Great list, Marie! It sounds like you really enjoy what you do, and you've got lots to be proud of. I can totally relate to #1. It's such a small thing, but when I do it, it really makes me beam. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clarinda. Yes, it's the best, isn't it? Especially when it's fun or pays off!

      Delete
  7. Great list and great photos too! I met my husband in 1987 too, and it's great to meet another mom of 3 boys. You definitely have lots to be proud of mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Yes, moms of three boys must stick together!!

      Delete
  8. Great list, you have a lot of things to be proud of! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful, there's so much to be proud of, and number 6 especially!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous list. Lots to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful family! And congrats on #8! Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your lovely and heart warming post Marie! Too often we forget what is in front of our eyes - e.g. our family and the extraordinary stories around them.
    I found you on the A-Z challenge and I look forward to meeting you again. I also subscribed to your site.
    Blessings to you and your wonderful family.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment