Ten best movie quotes: a tribute to Kate

This week's Monday Listicle comes from Ally at Just a Normal Mom: 10 best movie quotes.

I'm not one of those people who remembers movie quotes in general, with a few exceptions such as "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die" and "Luke, I am your father." What's with the father theme? I also remember "As you wish." (Cue Princess Bride!)

But I do love the movies, and I especially love great actresses that transcend stereotypical gender roles. Mike and I just saw "The Iron Lady" the other night, and I was struck, once again, by how talented Meryl Streep is. I love her, and I need to watch more of her films.

The first actress I loved, though, was the late great Katharine Hepburn. IMDB tells us "she was the daughter of a doctor and a suffragette, both of whom encouraged her to speak her mind, develop it fully, and exercise her body to its full potential."

Here are ten great movie quotes by Katharine Hepburn:

  1. "All I'm trying to say is that there's lots of things that a man can do and in society's eye it's all hunky dory. A woman does the same thing--the same thing, mind you--and she's an outcast." --Adam's Rib
  2. "Oh, that's silly. No woman would ever run for president. She'd have to admit she's over 35." --State of the Union
  3. "War! Is that all you men know?" --Mary of Scotland
  4. "I see that, in addition to your other charms, you have that insolence generated by an inferior upbringing. --Stage Door
  5. "The time to make up your mind about people is never." --Philadelphia Story
  6. "I even made poor Louis take me on Crusade. How's that for blasphemy. I dressed my maids as Amazons and rode bare-breasted halfway to Damascus. Louis had a seizure and I damn near died of windburn... but the troops were dazzled." --The Lion in Winter
  7. "The trick in life isn't getting what you want, my dear, it's wanting it after you get it." --Love Affair
  8. "If I knew I was going to live to 86 I wouldn't have let the maid go." --Love Affair
  9. Come here Norman! Hurry up! The loons! The loons! They're welcoming us back." --On Golden Pond
  10. "Now to squash a rumor. No, I don't have Parkinson's. I inherited my shaking head from my grandfather Hepburn. I discovered that whiskey helps stop the shaking. Problem is, if you're not careful, it stops the rest of you too. My head just shakes, but I promise you, it ain't gonna fall off!" --Katharine Hepburn: All About Me

It turns out that my first favorite actress strongly disliked my other favorite. Also according to IDMB, she thought "very highly of the acting talents of Jeremy Irons and John Lithgow, but she particularly disliked Meryl Streep, claiming she could recognize Streep's constant search for tactics during a performance."

Perhaps she knew that Meryl Streep was her only likely real competition? Streep beat Hepburn in the number of Oscar nominations...but Hepburn tops that record as the only four-time Oscar winner for acting.

Not only was Kate's character sublime and funny in the movies, but also in person. Here are some final quotes, outside of the movies.

  • Wouldn't it be great if people could get to live suddenly as often as they die suddenly?
  • I find a woman's point of view much grander and finer than a man's.
  • I remember as a child going around with "Votes For Women" balloons. I learnt early what it is to be snubbed for a good cause.
  • Plain women know more about men than beautiful ones do.
  • Life is hard. After all, it kills you.
  • I think most of the people involved in any art always secretly wonder whether they are really there because they're good - or because they're lucky.
  • I never realized until lately that women were supposed to be inferior.
  • Life is to be lived. If you have to support yourself, you had bloody well find some way that is going to be interesting. And you don't do that by sitting around wondering about yourself.
  • [When Barbara Walters asked her if she owned a skirt] I have one, Ms. Walters. I'll wear it to your funeral.


Let's hear it for Kate! I need to have a Kate/Meryl film marathon! We'll make them sisters in film, even if Kate wouldn't have liked it.
Listicles is brought to us by Stasha atwww.northwestmommy.com. Check out her blog and find more great movie quotes.

Comments

  1. A real nice twist on the topic. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved her as well, and like you, love Meryl Streep equally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have so much in common, don't they? Such a shame that Kate was so anti-Meryl.

      Delete
  3. Meryl Streep and especially Katharine Hepburn are true classics. This list has it all going on. Some of my favorite movies ever were Katharine Hepburn movies. Love the added quotes! Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin. Doesn't it make you want to watch those again? I realize that while I've seen a lot of hers, I haven't even seen half!

      Delete
  4. This is an AWESOME way to do this list! I LOVE IT!! Such great quotes. She rocked! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great take on the prompt. She was such a class act. Love her and her movies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great take on the topic! She was such an amazing actress and woman

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such interesting quotes. I've never seen any of her movies, but this makes me want to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this tribute to Hepburn. Inspiring. Bookmarking for future reference. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your approach. A grand lady and a fine actress. And i do love Meryl. I think you are onto something about kate's comment about her acting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was searching on Inspirational Movie Quotes about Life this one is quite exceptional article thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment