The wild, wacky city I love!

This past weekend the City of Roses hosted two wonderful traditions:

The Portland Pride parade and festival, which we participated in two years ago but have been unable to attend the last few years because of its unfortunate scheduling on Father's Day...our friends participated both last year and this year, and Catherine shared this wonderful account (with great photos) of this year's parade on a friend's blog. I love it that the Mennonites were represented, in addition to bunches of other religious faiths. And isn't it great that Nike is such a strong supporter of the event, and even its CEO marches? (I remember the Nike contingent from 2 years ago--you couldn't miss them because of their volume and matching t-shirts.)

The first time I heard about this event years ago, I couldn't believe it. Some friends of ours go every year, because the husband works at the Ringside (which is along the route). Since the World Naked Bike Ride started in 2004, only four other cities--San Francisco, Seattle, and Boulder and Black Rock City in Colorado--have celebrated it every year. Portland is supposedly one of the largest in the world, not surprisingly because the whole point of the ride is to promote alternative transportation! Photos (largely in good taste) here and less tasteful (but more entertaining) ones here. It is not illegal to be naked in Portland, as long as you are not participating in sexual acts or being lewd (that is, in public). Thousands upon thousands participate and have a blast doing it.

Kieran's desperate to participate next year, also not surprisingly. And although I love the fact that they do it, I will not be among them...I'm far too modest!! Maybe someday I'll go watch on the sidelines!

I do love my wacky city most of the time!

Comments