10 Rules for Brilliant Women

MORE magazine's web site has another great article posted today: "10 Rules for Brilliant Women." The author, Tara Mohr, coaches women who are "dedicated, talented, and brilliant," but do not own their brilliance. Any woman can relate to that statement.

If you are like me and find yourself questioning your thoughts, words, or actions, or wondering if someone else likes you or approves of you, you need to read this article. I especially like her tip of looking for opportunities that make you gasp.

When I was a child, my parents got involved in a self-improvement type seminar experience (for lack of a better description) called Lifespring, which also had a children's weekend program. I have fuzzy, ambivalent memories of the experience. The Wikipedia description says that "the training itself consisted of a series of lectures and processes designed to show the participants how they were holding themselves back in their lives." The program was shut down after a number of injuries, casualties, and mental hospitalizations! For children, it was more than a bit extreme.

But one thing that I will always retain is something called a "stretchout," which essentially followed Eleanor Roosevelt's direction that we "do one thing every day that scares you." I have taken that tiny principle to heart throughout my life. That's how I ended up in Japan after college, not knowing a single person or word of Japanese. I think I will transform that idea in my mind to think "what's the gasp level action here?" I like that.

Comments