Movie Review: Milk


Sometimes Mike and I arrive late on the pop culture scene. It took us years to watch Fahrenheit 9/11. And it's took us too long to finally get around to watching Milk. It was well worth waiting for. (We watched it in July, but I'm finally getting around to posting about it.)

Harvey Milk died when I was 14. I vaguely remember learning about his death, but now when I look back I think I was terribly misinformed about the current events of the time (such as the Vietnam War, which ended a few years before that). I was a terribly naive teenager, and I knew very little about the gay rights struggles of the 1970s.

I do, however, remember Anita Bryant. Even at that young age, I remember my horror at her hateful, polarizing public behavior. She was the Sarah Palin of the 1970s, and she wielded a lot of influence because of her orange juice fame.

I loved this film. Sean Penn was brilliant. In this day and age, when the suicide rate among gay teens is at an epidemic rate, and student teachers in my own hometown are dismissed for being honest about their sexual orientation, we all need to watch this film. I wish this world had more Harvey Milks out there...tremendously brave and passionate about defending their beliefs, and willing to stick their necks out for the sake of justice.

Comments