Guess we have done something right...

Chris has a newish friend from a family VERY DIFFERENT from ours. They are very, very, very Catholic and have several children, many of them adopted. One of their sons is in the military and two other sons are in junior military-types of organizations. She determines what her children can watch based on what the Catholic watchdog organization deems okay (so "Hellboy" is okay, apparently, because it's about good vs. evil, even though it's violent!). She told Mike that most Catholic schools had "watered-down Catholicism"! I think she must have some clue about our "watered-down-to-the-point-of-near-dilution" Lutheran/Catholic community, because her aunt used to attend there.

They have a bumper sticker on their car that says "Abortion is bad." (Guess that's better than "Abortion is murder.")

The mom insists that Chris call her "Mrs. __________" and her son calls us "Mr. and Mrs. __________," much to my dismay! (Aside: I remember when I was a kid and one friend of the family gave me a dressing-down because I dared to call her by her first name--that's what I was used to in the late 60s/early 70s--other adults insisted I call them by their first names. The only people Chris has been asked to address like that are his teachers.)

Yesterday Chris was invited over to their house, and they took Chris along to the military store so his friend could get fitted for his uniform. Chris looked around and noted "This isn't the type of place I usually go to, because there are so many guns!" She explained to him that they were airsoft rifles, so it was okay. (?)

She later recounted to Mike that they then had a discussion about the war, and she concluded by telling him about how great this country is that we can agree to disagree. Mike later asked Chris what he had said. "I told her that the war has been going on for nearly 10 years now and it's got to stop!"

Chip off the old blocks! I am so proud of my son for standing up to what he believes in--and also being able to get along with all sorts of people. I'm glad he has soaked in our own brand of family values.

Comments