Wicked

Kieran has a long history with the "Wizard of Oz" and before he even knew of the existence of a book and musical presenting the Wicked Witch of the West's side of the story, he's had a fascination with her. He dressed up as the Wicked Witch at his fourth birthday party and acted out her role (I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog, too!) in our mini-play.

When I finally got around to reading Wicked last year, Kieran was constantly pestering me to read it to him. As I soon found out, it's not material for a first grader! I have read him the entire plot of the musical (which is a bit more palatable and understandable) a few times (Wikipedia).

After we searched high and low on Youtube for videos of the musical (and not finding a whole lot out there), he received the soundtrack for Wicked for his birthday from his godfamily Drew, Laurie, and Sophie. And now "Wicked" has become the background for our lives. It's playing on the stereo whenever Kieran is in the house. He always knew that the Wicked Witch (or Elphaba) was the real heroine of the story.

He even told me that he didn't want to go to Orlando in July--instead he'd rather go to New York City to see "Wicked"!

Comments