Bad Mama

As I write, I'm listening to Kieran scream and moan because he's absolutely furious at me.

I decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather in Portland today by taking out my "new" bike (bought during the winter) for a spin. I hadn't been on a bike in probably 15 years. Kieran expressed his desire to go with me, and I reluctantly agreed (knowing it wouldn't be much of a workout that way).

When the time came for me to leave, Kieran was upstairs in his room inventing something. I said to Mike "I wonder if Kieran would get upset if I went without him." Mike said, "He'll get over it."

Yes, maybe in 2012.

I had a great bike ride, although I certainly felt how out of shape I am! Riding a bike uses different muscles than running on a treadmill, doing Wii Fit, or using an elliptical. Especially with all the hills we have in our neighborhood. I probably pushed myself too hard on my first time out. I came back thoroughly winded and worn out, and no doubt I'll be saddle sore tomorrow too!

As soon as Kieran had discovered that I had gone, he started screaming and wailing. Mike took the boys outside for a bike ride, and Kieran temporarily recovered. (In fact, Mike said he had to push Kieran on his bike much of the way...the hills, again. So it wouldn't have been a very successful bike ride if I had my own bike to deal with.) However, as soon as they returned and he saw me, he started anew.

There's nothing I can do to make it up to him. He doesn't want hugs, and he doesn't want my apologies. I do truly feel horrible for breaking my promise to him. But I realize I never should have made it in the first place. I need to find a flat surface to take him to for bike riding, some day when he's stopped being mad at me.

Kieran's going through some temperamental developmental phase--he's always been our most-passionate child, but recently we've had all sorts of tantrums for a variety of reasons, most of them entirely unpredictable (unlike this one).

It's really unfortunate, because we had a lovely afternoon before this. We took the family to ComedySportz for Kids, which they all loved. It's right up their alley, and I have a feeling it will be a regular activity from now on.

In the meantime, I'm the worst mother alive (my words, not his...).

P.S. Since writing this post, Kieran's fury has finally passed...we had lots of hugs and apologies, followed by a rousing session on Wii Sports Resort...Kieran beat me soundly at Dogfight and 100-pin Bowling (and I didn't even let him win)! Thank goodness he seems to have forgiven me.

Comments