I Love My New Muesli!

When we were in Ontario this summer, I bought some muesli for breakfast. I have eaten muesli in Japan and England, but it's not generally as popular or easy to find here. (My parents have been making their own muesli for years, though.) My usual breakfast cereals of choice are ginger granola and oatmeal. Mike can't eat most store-bought muesli because it typically has wheat flakes in it. After we returned from Canada, I decided I wanted to make my own. But for me to choose it over my beloved Trader Joe's ginger granola, it had to be good. On my birthday, I went to buy the bulk ingredients, and that evening I made my first batch. It's delicious! Here are the approximate ingredients...although it was very spontaneous and unmeasured for the most part!

My mom watched me make it, and she commented that theirs is heavier on the oats. I wanted plenty of fruit and nuts in mine to make it crunchy and flavorful. The cinnamon helped, too. Result: NEW FAVORITE CEREAL! And less expensive than TJ's granola...

Marie's Homemade Muesli

Old-fashioned rolled oats (about 2 or 3 cups)
Barley flakes (about 2 cups)
Raisins
Roughly chopped almonds
Pumpkin seeds
Coconut
Chopped crystallized ginger
Chopped dried fruit and assorted nuts (from a bag I got at Costco)
Chopped dried dates
Cinnamon
Rice Crispies

Comments