SO Proud of My Church Today!!

This morning, the churchwide assembly of the ELCA voted to allow blessings of same-sex relationships. And this afternoon, they voted to allow sexually active gay and lesbian clergy (previously they had to be celibate, and really, what's the point of that?). As I watched the voting on the live feed, I was instant messaging on Facebook with my friend Susan in Anchorage (whose youtube video I put in my last post)...and I had tears rolling down my face.

I was watching the live feed of the assembly this afternoon, and was positively THRILLED to see my pastor (and friend) speak at the microphone, addressing the assembly. She spoke of our partnership with Roman Catholics, and how they have expressed how inspired they are at the inclusivity of the Lutheran church.

This will cause great division in the church, because the ELCA is full of conservative members. I was fascinated to watch all the arguments from the floor...some from people holding their bibles and talking about how this goes against the bible. Poppycock. If Jesus were on earth in the flesh today, I firmly believe he would be ministering to drag queens and the HIV positive among us. He would not be rejecting, but embracing. This is a day to celebrate.

Comments