The Big Hate

It's late. Mike went to bed over an hour ago (since he got about 4 or 5 hours of sleep last night because of Christopher's sleep-deprived EEG, which went fine). As I kissed him goodnight, he predicted that I would be up for hours longer. I'm more of a night owl. So I must go to bed to prove him wrong!

But I just read this excellent though scary article by Paul Krugman in the New York Times about the dangerous rise in right-wing extremism, fueled by FOX News and the likes of Rush Limbaugh and the Republican National Committee.

Ever since it appeared that Obama would win the election, this has scared me. When I watched the video of the lunatics who showed up to McCain-Palin rallies. When I have read the comments on the political Web sites. And when I read about the outrageous things the right-wing political commentators say, with no apparent outrage from much of the media. The Washington Times is blithely calling Obama a radical Muslim. John Voight talks about "Obama oppression," and Mitch McConnell applauds him for his comments.

They are inciting hatred and fanning the flames of extremism. Every day I fear what the crazies could do with that encouragement. Hope I can sleep tonight.

Comments