Obama Announces First-Ever White House Council on Women and Girls

When I was posting the HTML for this video, Nicholas was sitting on my lap and said "There's Obama!"

President Obama today signed an order creating the first-ever White House Council on Women and Girls.

"I sign this order not just as president, but also as a son, a grandson, a husband and a father, because growing up, I saw my mother put herself through school to follow her passion for helping others," Obama said. "But I also saw how she struggled to raise me and my sister on her own, worrying about how she would pay the bills, educate herself and provide for us."

"I think we need to take a hard look at where we're falling short, and who we're leaving out, and what that means for the prosperity and the vitality of our nation," said Obama, who as part of International Women's History Month also last week with Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton jointly announced a new post of ambassador at large for women's issues around the world.

It's fitting that he did this on the day after I posted this as my "quote of the day" on Facebook:
"The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself. "— Virginia Woolf

It's a good step toward the future, President Obama.

Comments