Dog-Free Farmers' Markets

Over a year ago, I posted my guilty confession that I am not particularly crazy about dogs. In fact, the post was inspired by the hordes of dogs at the crowded Portland Farmers' Market we frequent every Saturday morning during spring, winter, and fall.

Now the market has decided to ban dogs at its downtown location on Wednesdays and Saturdays. As you can imagine, this decision has drawn scorn from Portland's keen dog lovers. Personally, I am delighted!

Many of the people who write in to the Portland newspapers claim that babies should be banned, or at least the enormous strollers. Others plan to boycott, write petitions, etc.

I wonder whether market vendors are actually going to approach people who flaunt the ban and ask them to leave the market? Could be awkward...

Our kids are not crazy about dogs; I'm not sure why. I don't think that I have shared my lack of fondness for dogs with them; in fact, Mike told me just this morning that he would like to have a dog!

I look forward to shopping at the market this year without having to worry about tripping over dogs' leashes or dogs themselves. Apparently some of the dogs actually ate the produce, and vendors complained.

I wrote an e-mail to the Farmers' Market, thanking them for making this decision...because I'm sure they are getting plenty of mail from dog owners, many of whom are incensed.

Comments