Today I'm Proud to be an American, But Ashamed to Be a Christian...

Proposition 8 in California flew into success because of the massive efforts FROM THE ALTAR to spread hate and discrimination. The Catholic church and the Mormon church (not what I would call Christian, but they would...) poured millions of dollars and call center hours into the campaign. Yet another effort by Christians and other religions to legislate hatred and discrimination based on fear of the "other" and by claiming that the "other" is wrong based on their misguided reading of the bible. I am ashamed to be affiliated in any way with these people who voted for legislating discrimination on the basis of their faith. It goes against every ounce of my own faith, and it gives Christians a horrific name.

Then there's the problem of people of color supporting Prop. 8 even more than whites. While the country is rejoicing in this historic watershed moment of electing our first African-American president..African-Americans can finally tell their children that they can do anything they want to do...many of these very same people who have experienced discrimination for their whole lives voted to legislate discrimination for others. Please explain this to me.

I haven't seen any exit polls delineating gays and straights, but I would imagine that 95 to 97 percent of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered people voted for Barack Obama. Yet 70 percent of African-Americans and 53 percent of Latino-Americans voted for Proposition 8. It feels like a betrayal, pure and simple. If anyone should understand what it feels like to be marginalized in society, it is African-Americans and Latino-Americans.

In my lifetime, societal views and acceptance of gays and lesbians have improved tremendously. At least Barack Obama mentions gay people when he talks about Americans. We have come a long ways from "don't ask, don't tell." Obama stops short of endorsing gay marriage, but in my view he has to in order to be elected, sadly.

I fervently hope that Obama can lead positively among people of color to spread the message of inclusivity and acceptance. I find it so tragic and dispiriting when people who have been oppressed continue to vote to oppress others.

A lawsuit will be filed, and I'm hoping and praying to my Christian God/dess that justice will prevail.

Comments