For My Sons: Why I Voted for Obama

On this historic, exciting, and nerve-wracking day, I wanted to write about why I cast my vote for Obama (and Jeff Merkley, here in Oregon)...so that my sons will understand more about what democracy means. Here we go...

Why I Vote Democrat (and for Obama)
  1. As a person of faith, I believe that we need to show compassion and look after those less fortunate than we are.
  2. I believe that each human being deserves respect and equal opportunity, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status.
  3. Obama was raised by strong women, married a strong women, and is raising strong women.
  4. Obama is clearly extremely intelligent and has been accomplished great things already in his lifetime. I desperately want a smart president--and one who understands the rule of law would be good too!
  5. I am pro-life. I believe that war should be averted at all costs, and diplomatic means should always be attempted first.
  6. I am pro-choice. I believe in a woman's right to safe birth control and safe abortion. I believe in sex education as the best form of birth control, and I hope that through better education and birth control, abortion rates will fall.
  7. I believe that women need to be given the same opportunities as men, and they need assurance of fair pay for fair work.
  8. I believe that the rich should pay higher taxes.
  9. I believe that those who serve in the military should be given respect, and also adequate health care and benefits when they return from service.
  10. I believe that the health care system in this country desperately needs reform.
  11. Big corporations have far too much power and influence in American politics.
  12. I want a president who is ethical and honest.
  13. I want the U.S. to be respected in the world. I'm tired of coming from a country that is a laughing stock in the rest of the world.
  14. I believe that this country has been run by privileged white men who have no inkling of the obstacles that women or people of color face. It is time to turn that around!
  15. It is time to stop global warming now. I want my children to live in a society that is more protective of our precious resources and honors the earth.
  16. Our children are our most precious resource, and they need excellent schools and dynamic, experienced, and well-paid teachers.
  17. Last week, two children died from horrible, random gunshot deaths: one at a gun show, and one while trick or treating. We need gun control in this country.
  18. We need to take care of people at home instead of spending billions of dollars in Iraq.
  19. We need to stop the killing of innocent civilians in the Middle East.
  20. We need to build bridges and mend fences with the Muslim community and Israel. We need to be a positive leader in the effort to bring peace to the Middle East.

Comments