Another Democrat for Oregon!

For well over a year now, my parents have been working extremely hard to elect Jeff Merkley to the U.S. Senate. They've made phone calls, registered voters, donated quite a bit of money, and pounded the pavement on his behalf, because he was a candidate they could truly get behind.

This is the e-mail I got from my mom this morning:

What an exciting night! We were at the Obama/Merkley party in the Convention Center last night and had so much fun celebrating with everyone. The Merkley celebration was somewhat subdued since we still don't know the results, but he gave a great speech and peoole are still hopeful because there are so many Mult. Co. votes not counted. The excitement when Obama won, however, was undescribable. I was also impressed by the diversity in the crowd, all ages and ethnic groups. Bill and Terry, we are glad you aren't moving to Canada! I feel awed and honored to be witness to such a history changing election. As usual, I forgot my camera!

(I too am relieved I will not have to follow through on my threat to move to Canada...)

The race between incumbent Gordon Smith and Jeff Merkley was so tight that Merkley was not declared as the winner until this evening around dinnertime. This morning Smith was ahead, but for some reason many of the Multnomah County and Lane County votes had not been counted, and Merkley was winning those votes 2 to 1 to Smith. As the votes started trickling in, Merkley took the lead...and by the time all the votes are counted, I expect it to be a decisive win.

So thanks to Mom and Dad for doing so much to get another Democrat to the Senate. Woo-hoo!!!

Comments