On the Fence about the Issue of Choice?

Right after posting about my anger about McCain's disdain for women's health, I read this beautiful, painful post on Momocrats.com by a mom who had an abortion when she was 7 weeks pregnant and in a very self-destructive, difficult stage of her life. When applying for a benefit from the state of Oregon to pay for an abortion, she was told that she made $27 too much...but if she had given birth to the child, she could have received benefits. The state would pay her to support a child for God-knows-how-long, but she was overqualified to receive compensation for her abortion.

As I've posted before, I am in a privileged position to be able to make the choice to follow through an unplanned pregnancy. I carry some guilt of my own about having a third child in this age of population explosion...but because of my own difficult pregnancy history and my faith that everything happens for a reason, it was a choice I made. I am SO glad I was able to make the choice...and Nicholas is a pure joy. I can't imagine our lives without him. But he came along at the right time, to the right person, and we have the resources; financial, mental, and spiritual health; and readiness to welcome him with open arms. But so many women do not have those luxuries. And it is for these women that we must protect choice.

I encourage you to read this woman's story. The language is not for the faint hearted...but if you are like me and believe that abortion is a sad, but critical, need, it's worthy of your time.

Comments