My son, the blogger


I've started a blog trend in my family...now the 10-year-old has one! I'm sure that it will be heavily slanted toward media and pop culture, but it reflects his 1o-year-old view of the world perfectly. The great thing about blogging is how easy it is to set one up...the tricky thing is how to explain to a kid that he shouldn't post our home phone number on his blog. I know other parents who are quite open with their kids by telling them all about all the predators and "bad guys" in the world. Although I want my kids to be careful and safe, I also don't want to portray the world as a scary, sinister place, with potential villains around every corner. So it's that balance that I seek.

Chris is such a positive, forgiving, and good-natured kid. The world is a wonderful place for him. In one of his posts called "The Giving Box," he suggested that people could send us donations, and we'd give them to charity (hence the phone number). It's a great intention...

I explained to him the importance of not sharing personal information on the Internet, but at the same time, it is tough to tell him that there are people out there who want to harm children. (And I suggested that he could post the names and addresses of the actual charities instead...)

Parenting in the new millennium. It's only going to get harder...

Comments