Cousins, Cousins, Here Come the Boys

"Cousins, cousins, here come the boys!
Bedlam, mayhem, noise, noise, noise...
Blow up the air mattresses, hide the breakable toys,
Cousins, cousins, here come the boys!"

(from "Cousins" by Tom Chapin)

We've just finished a very busy weekend of enthusiastic boy energy, as my sister and her family visited...and a close college friend also came down for the weekend.

My sister also has three boys, and between us, five of the kids are 5 and under. It is certainly bedlam and mayhem, and certain to become more so as they get older. Right now the younger ones are like a pack of boisterous puppies. It's gratifying to see how much they all adore each other.

On Christmas Day, we were having dinner at my parents' house, and as I looked around the table, I realized that we had 10 males and 3 females (my family, my sister's family, my parents, and my brother). As the boys get older, the testosterone levels are only going to get higher!

My sister is an internal medicine physician who has lots of older patients. Not a week goes by when she doesn't get pitying comments for having all boys. I got a few of those when I informed people that I was expecting my third son, and occasionally people ask me if I'm going to try for a girl (like I would ever have a baby just to get a particular gender!)...but for the most part I don't have to deal with the constant tactless comments like she does.

I always imagined that I would have a daughter, and I would have been thrilled with one. However, my sister and I both went through so many difficulties getting (and staying) pregnant, that I'm just grateful and overwhelmed to think of the abundant blessings we have received. We both feel privileged and specially chosen to raise strong, sensitive young men who will be loving and kind.

One of her sons is an expert coffee maker, vacuumer, and one of mine loves to wear feather boas and dress up like the Wicked Witch of the West. They are all loving, affectionate boys, love their moms and dads, and are not hesitant to express their feelings or thoughts openly. If they can retain these qualities into adulthood, I will deem our child-raising a great success...and the world will have six more wonderful men...a fantastic feat indeed.

Comments